A Bengkung Belly Bind is a traditional Malaysian style wrap worn during your first days postpartum. Each Bengkung Belly Bind will include 15 yards of batik cotton material used for the bind. The hems are intentionally left without a hem to improve the comfort of the wrap when worn against the body. In addition, an under layer of soft flannel panel secured around the body with a ribbon closure. The ribbon closure is specifically designed to allow for adjustments to customize the fit to your own body and adjust as you loose your pregnancy weight.
The Begnkung Belly Bind is worn by placing the warming flannel layer against your abdomen. The batik cotton material is then wrapped around the body starting at the base of the pubic bone upwards towards the base of the rib cage.
Traditionally, the Bengkung belly bind is worn for 40 days during the restful period following the birth of your baby. The bind can be worn starting 5 days after a vaginal birth or 6 weeks after a surgical birth. In addition, this can be worn during your monthly menstrual cycle to aid in reducing lower back pain and cramping.
Wearing the Bengkung Belly Bind has a number of benefits including:
- Support abdominal wall muscle retraction: The support to the abdominal muscles helps in healing of the diastasis recti, the separation in the abdominal wall common after pregnancy. As your belly grows during pregnancy, the fibrous strip, called the lineal alba, between your abdominal muscles thins as it stretches.
- Improve posture: The support provided to your spine assists in returning your posture to its pre-pregnancy alignment and help prevent shoulder and back pain of “breastfeeding back.”
- Stabilize loosened ligaments: The bind provide support to the pelvis encouraging it to close from its expanded state after pregnancy. The expansion of the pelvis is caused by hormones present during pregnancy and through the act of carrying and birthing a baby. The constant pressure of the belly bind provides support to the pelvic bones to close them after birth.
- Provide support to the torso while vital organs returned to their pre-pregnancy size and position: The uterus must contract back to its pre-repgnancy size and position. In addition, all of the other organs in your abdomen move position as your baby takes up space during pregnancy and must return to their normal position after birth.
- Relieves water retention, removes toxins, and improves circulation: During pregnancy your body retains water to help support the amniotic fluid needed to sustain pregnancy. It also increases circulation and helps flush toxins retained in the abdomen.
If you are interested in an in-person assistance consultation for wrapping your belly, a 3-visit package is available for an additional $150. If you are outside of my region, I am available to provide a consultation by Skype or FaceTime for a $50 fee.
Currently the following color choices are available for purchase.
——– DISCLAIMER ————-
As a Mother Roaster, I am not serving as a medical professional. I am sharing the wisdom I have gained and offering you loving, healing touch. I am not a certified herbalist. I am only offering information on traditional practices used to restore body balance. These herbal products are designed to help the body maintain normal body function and wellness.