Susannah provides an introductory breastfeeding and pumping class to expectant parents in the Washington DC and Northern Virginia Area.
As a DONA Certified postpartum doula and a mother of two, I understand how important it is to feel prepared so you can give your baby the best start in life. As you may know, breastfeeding is the best nutrition you can provide to your baby. One of the ways to help be prepared is by taking a breastfeeding and pumping class before your baby arrives. By providing this class to families in the Northern Virginia area, I hope to set you on the path to start a full and wonderful breastfeeding relationship with your baby.
Like many expectant and new parents, you may be feeling some of these emotions:
- “If breastfeeding is so natural, why are the breastfeeding rates so low?”
- “I am worried that so many of my friends had big challenges with breastfeeding. What if I do to?”
- “My mom/sister/aunt/friend/co-worker had trouble making enough milk for my baby. What if I can’t either?”
- “How will I know if my baby is getting enough milk?”
- “All of this pressure to breastfeed is making me stressed out. I don’t know where to begin.”
- “I want to have that close bond with my baby.”
- “Breastfeeding is harder than I thought it would be.”
- “How will I ever be ready to go back to work?”
Imagine, instead, that your mind is filled with these thoughts:
- “I feel confident that I will understand how my body makes milk for my baby.”
- “I feel prepared to understand how the mechanics and positioning for breastfeeding can set me on the right foot to feed my baby.”
- “My expectations for the first weeks and months are focused on caring for my child and providing him/her with the nourishment he/she needs.”
- “I am able to focus on bonding with my baby through breastfeeding.”
- “I have enough evidence based information at my finger tips that I am able to feel confident that my baby is getting enough milk.”
- “If things don’t go as planned, I have enough resources and a game plan in place so that I can get the help I need.”
- “I am able to have support in my breastfeeding relationship from my partner, family, and friends.”
- “I have a plan in place for returning to work so I am able to focus on enjoying my time alone with my baby.”
So, you may be wondering what I will learn during this class.
In this two-hour class we cover: the basics anatomy and physiology of the breast, how to get a good latch, what to expect in the first days and weeks after birth and what to do if things don’t go as planned, what products might be helpful, how families members can support a breastfeeding mother, and where to find support groups for breastfeeding families. This class will you’re your family feel more confident and prepared as you prepare to breastfeed you baby.
In addition we will cover: how a pump works, how to use a pump, pumping strategies, how to use a pump in the first weeks and months. This also will assist with educating mothers who will be returning to work to become familiar before they return to work. This class helps mothers feel more confident in her ability to feed her child when she is home or away from her baby.
You deserve to have the support you need to enjoy the beautiful breastfeeding relationship between you and your baby.
Mother and partner are welcome to attend. Please indicate if you are bringing someone with you when you register so we can ensure we have enough materials and space.
6231 Leesburg Pike, #200
Falls Church, VA 22044
Back to Health Center
900 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22302