Susannah provides a class for expectant parents in Northern Virginia and Washington DC.
As a DONA Certified postpartum doula and a mother of two, I understand how important it is to feel prepared so you can give your baby the best start in life. Many expectant parents may not have a lot of experience with caring for newborn babies. One of the ways to help be prepared is by taking a baby care basics class before your baby arrives. By providing this class to families in the Northern Virginia area, I hope to set you on the path to start with confidence to care for your baby and have an easier first few months after your baby arrives.
Like many expectant and new parents, you may be feeling some of these emotions:
- “I’ve never changed a diaper or bathed a newborn baby. I’m not sure where to start.”
- “I am worried that I might not know what is normal and what is abnormal. How will I know?”
- “I want to learn the tools so I can care for my baby without worrying about hurting or dropping my baby.”
- “I am worried that I won’t know how to sooth my baby if he is upset.”
- “Everyone is giving me advice and I want to make sure I’m doing the best thing for my baby.”
- “I want to have that close bond with my baby.”
Imagine, instead, that your mind is filled with these thoughts:
- “I know the basics to care for my baby. When he/she arrives, I’ll be prepared.”
- “I know what to expect in the first few weeks so I can feel more relaxed caring for my baby.”
- “I have several tools in my tool-belt to help our baby when he/she is having a rough time.”
- “My expectations for my baby are in line with what is appropriate for a newborn baby.”
- “I have enough evidence based information at my finger tips that I am able to feel confident in caring for my baby and dealing with unsolicited advice.”
- “If things don’t go as planned, I have enough resources and a game plan in place so that I can get the help I need.”
- “I am more confident an able to care for my baby.”
So, you may be wondering what I will learn during this class.
In this two-hour class we cover all the basic things you will need to know when caring for your baby. This includes what a normal newborn baby looks like, how to do bathing, diapering, grooming, and soothing techniques for your baby. We also go over the importance of sleep and nourishment for both family and baby. We will also talk about some products that might help make things easier.
You deserve to have the information and support you need to bring your baby home with confidence and love.
Mother and partner are welcome to attend. Please indicate if you are bringing someone with you when you register so we can ensure we have enough materials and space.
6231 Leesburg Pike, #200
Falls Church, VA 22044
Back to Health Center
900 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22302